Yesterday we had a meeting about our national trust bee project plus an inspection. two hives, both swarms – and how different. The first has caused us pangs of worry from the start and we have still not seen either a queen nor any eggs/brood. They were a little tetchy but OK. Second hive making great progress all things considered. Brood and another sighting of the queen.
From there, I had to dash to my practical at the MBBKA apiary. Valuable experience – another 4 hives seen and we also put some frames into a nuc box and then added a queen in a cage so it will be good to see progress. I must see if I can get to another session as I missed one when the car was misbehaving. Knowing I was then going to see another beekeepers hives the next morning I got home and washed my bee suit (I keep an all in one for my own apiary and use a jacket when visiting others hives). Even though it is summer, the groundsource heatpump comes on during some nights so the jacket was dry for the next day though I couldn’t do the hat as I hand wash that. It was great to see another apiary, a range of hives and to hear the owner adding his views and also other experts and newbies adding aspects. I have to admit hearing about their disasters can be really comforting because sometimes I feel all I have is unexpected occurrences or disasters.
From there I drove to collect my honey labels and then looked around my garden, washed the visiting bee jacket again 9this time also hat) and donned the all in one to inspect my own 2 hives. I was very pleased. I had expected that my no 1 hive would need feeding – but no, they have plenty. There is a super ready to extract but I await my extractor.
All in all I am very pleased. I did see something I did not understand in one hive but there is brood in all stages and plenty of food.